Not every case requires a lawyer. However, in most situations, you are much better off with one. At Losi & Gangi, the attorneys are there to represent you fairly and accurately. Below are the reasons you should and should not hire an attorney.
Reasons to hire a lawyer:
– The Law is Complicated: A solid case can quickly change its course without the help of a trained and emotionally detached attorney.
– Not Having a Lawyer May Cost You More: Depending on the case, you can spend time behind bars or get hurt financially. Hiring a lawyer could save you time and money in the long run.
– Lawyers Know How to Challenge Evidence: If you do not have the correct legal training, you will not know what is key evidence and whether or not it was properly obtained or even if the testimony of a witness contradicts an earlier statement. Also, did the crime lab properly handle all of the evidence throughout every step of the case?
– Filing the Wrong Document or Following the Wrong Procedure Could Ruin Your Case: You may struggle with deadlines and protocols when filling out legal documents if you are not an attorney. If one document is late or filled out incorrectly, you could delay or even have your case thrown out.
– They Have Access to the Witnesses and Experts You’ll Need on Your Side: Attorneys network with other professionals to help their clients.
If you are not and attorney, how will you know who can efficiently help your case?
– A Lawyer Can Present Your Strongest Case: Hiring a lawyer allows them to explain to you your options, which can help you avoid penalties from the beginning.
– It’s Always Better to Avoid Problems Rather Than Fix Them Later: If you don’t really understand the fine print of contracts you are signing, hiring a lawyer can help to avoid headaches.
– Lawyers Know How to Negotiate Settlements and Plea Bargains: Chances are the experienced lawyer that you hire will have seen cases like yours in the past and know how to deal with them in court a lot better than you ever would.
– The Other Party Probably Has Legal Representation: If you are going against a party with a lawyer and you do not have one, chances are the attorney representing them will take advantage of the fact that you are not a legal counsel.
– Lawyers Often Provide a Free Consultation: There is no harm in talking to an attorney that does a free face-to-face consultation.
Reasons to not hire a lawyer:
– Some legal proceedings, such as small claims court, require parties to represent themselves, so lawyers are not allowed.
– Many small disputes can also be handled through alternative dispute resolution programs, such as mediation, in order to avoid the expense and stress of hiring an attorney and going to court.
At Losi & Gangi, we always put our clients best interest first. Call Losi & Gangi at 716-854-1446 to see if hiring a lawyer is the right choice for you.
More information is available at the following websites: